Sunday, March 29, 2015

After a week hiatus, I am now faced with the project of thinking about creating an ideal learning space in my classroom that utilizes technology and collaborative learning. Unfortunately I am limited technologically and collaborative learning isn't a safe practice inside juvenile hall....so I will have to think about an ideal classroom separate from my current teaching assignment.  In addition I am required to utilize the notetaking method of sketch notetaking which will be a real challenge for me. I am a methodical notetaker, very linear, what a surprise.  I like my notes to be organized, but I will try my best.

First let me think about what elements I would need in an ideal classroom.  First off, I would use tables instead of desks, where groups of two to four students can sit with each other in order to collaborate.  Secondly, I would have a work table that includes markers, art supplies, colored paper, utensils needed to create and organize student work. Technologically, the classroom would have notebooks and WiFi where students are able to take computers to their work area to collaborate with each other.  Students would also be able to access the Smartboard easily and work on it as a group. A color and a black and white printer will be available for printing student work. Walls would have meaningful posters related to topics covered in class, a word wall that constantly changes according to topics covered, and a timeline that represents the time period covered during history.

Here is my first attempt at note sketching...

1 comment:

  1. I understand your frustration with the lack of tech integration into juvenile hall. #nevergiveup #relentlessteacher Those students need the skills as much, if not more, than a typical classroom. In order to be college OR career ready (or even just hirable) in the 21st century tech and collaboration skills are a must!

    Your vision is wonderful, and I look forward to you making steps towards it AT juvenile hall. Imagine how your students would perform in comparison! Much of it could be done there, if you take it one step at a time and add extra accountability measures along the way! I believe you can do it! :)

    I will quote my favorite post from the #NoWorksheetWeek twitter chat:
    Matt Weld ‏@MatthewWeld
    "I love worksheets! Especially the bundled option they call a packet" #saidnostudentever #nwwchat

    ReplyDelete