Sunday, February 8, 2015

Technology Integration Matrix

Working in a Juvenile Hall, there are restrictions to what students can access through technology.  When I first started, students were not even allowed to access the school e-mail accounts, but now they have more freedom.  They still are not allowed to access e-mail from outside programs such as Khan Academy, Road Trip Nation, or the Big History Project which are programs we are actively involved with in class, but we manage to figure out alternatives.

What we can do is utilize the great applications within Google Chrome as well as extensions that are provided through Google.  I have not been overly creative in assigning projects.  Mostly we as a class have used Google Slides (Presentation), Forms, Docs and Sheets.  We have done projects in Science, English and History.  The Big History Project, a online science/history experience program has introduced the creation of an infograph where students create a one-page document that introduces and explains a topic such as The Big Bang Theory.  I have students use Google Slides to make their infograph.  I give students a rubric for researching the information and graphics for the picture, then they create their page.  I give them several days to complete the project, and then they share the document with me, I show them on the Smart Board and students present their document.  I have not had any students who refused to get up in front of the class. They appear to be excited about sharing and overall, they have done a very good job.  

For the most part, I would say that my students and I are at the level of Adoption. I choose the tool for the student and they utilize the tool to create a product.  I think my assignments have included most of the characteristics of the learning environment within the Adoption level. My student population tends to fluctuate.  Some students are in for a day and others stay for six months.  Some students come in and out of the hall and then others I see once and then never again.  Adoption is probably the highest level I will be able to achieve with most of my students because of the fluctuation.  I have a few long term students who would benefit from learning to use new tools. but I need to consider the entire population of students and whether or not they have enough skills to learn something more complex.

I am intrigued with the video maker. My students are not allowed to video themselves or others, but they could put images together in a video format.  Of course these are things I will need to learn to do myself before teaching students.  Unfortunately, everything my students do on the computer has to be monitored strictly and this can be quite limiting. Yet, despite the limitations, my students have enjoyed having the opportunity to use computer technology, not only for classroom assignments, but for credit opportunities.

No comments:

Post a Comment